Rockin' on his own way

Being the younger brother of M. Nasir is no stumbling block for Zoul, if his second album is anything to go by, writes AHMAD NAZRUL CAMALXAMAN.



EVERYBODY knows how hard the pressure is to follow in the footsteps of an elder brother, especially so when it comes to career achievements. And what more when your elder brother has been at the top of the music industry for so many years and accomplished so much where others have failed.

What if that elder brother happens to be M. Nasir, the ever popular and accomplished producer, singer, songwriter, painter and music arranger?

But his younger brother Zoul, 43, is unfazed.

Born Zulkipli Mohamed, Zoul, as he is known widely in Singapore, began his career as a musician in 1984. He joined popular group Kembara with his brother Nasir and produced two albums, Hijrah 1404 (1985) and Duit (1986).

Zoul then moved on to another famous band at that time, Sweet Charity, as the vocalist (1985-1986), replacing Ramli Sarip. He later formed a duo called Tenggara with his friend and came up with Spektra in 1993 before embarking as a solo recording artiste with his self-titled debut Malay album in 2000.

Now, Zoul is back with his second solo album Di Celah Gigi, featuring "rock" as the album concept with singles Di Celah Gigi and Tiada Lagi Dusta.

In Di Celah Gigi, listeners will be overwhelmed with the fusion of rock and nusantara elements in songs such as Mentari, Jiwa Yang Tenang and Tiada Lagi Dusta.

Strong, powerful and mysterious lyrics can also be found in Layar and Belerang Merah, both written by Kuci Kuci, another talented Singaporean singer/songwriter.

Other songs in the album include Esok Tak Bertemu, Malam Nanti, Dia, Seri Mahkota Hati Nurani and Siapakah Aku.

Most of the songs in Di Celah Gigi includes instruments indigenous to Malay music such as the seruling (bamboo flute) by Mohar and the gendang Jawa (double-headed long barrel drum with two different skin heads), rebana (membranophone instrument), tambourine and shaker by Ramli Hamid.

For the musical arrangements, he collaborated with old friend and composer-songwriter and fellow Singaporean, Rudi MN for all songs except for Tiada Lagi Dusta, which was arranged by M. Nasir.

So why, after being in the music industry for so long, has he only now chosen to cross over to Malaysia?

"The opportunity has always been there. I mean, it would have been great if I did what my brother did and based myself here in Malaysia all those years ago. But at that time I felt that I had to keep away from my brother's shadow.

"But now, as my music has progressed, it is natural to spread my wings to Malaysia, to introduce my music to a wider and more diverse group of listeners."

Yet, how does it feel to always be known as the younger brother of the great M. Nasir, instead of being known as Zoul, a singer in his own right?

"It's unavoidable. I will always be Nasir's brother. And I'm proud of it. He will forever be my teacher, my mentor, my friend. The only difference between us is that I'm a little younger, and he plays the acoustic while I play the rock guitar. While Nasir and I are inspired by the same people and the same music, we portray our music differently.

"Nasir has his track record, so do I. He has his own different style of playing the guitar, so have I. While Nasir has his unique way of singing, any listener can surely recognise his song, his lyrics, his music. I hope listeners in Malaysia will recognise mine with Di Celah Gigi.

"And this is how I hope the listeners will get to know me - through my voice, my lyrics, my songs, my music."

Just how different is Zoul's music from other rock bands?

"Musically, I'm influenced by Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana and Eric Clapton. I try to use these musical influences as a technique in my writing, by applying these Western musical elements and fusing it with our own unique nusantara style.

"I don't want to write like them. I would just be another singer doing his covers. Instead, I create my own style. Our Malay roots have always been there, ever so rich with our own exceptional uniqueness. We just haven't exploited them to its full potential.

"Instead, We tend to humble ourselves to the styles and rhythm of Western music, which I think is just a shame. I'm not trying to preach but sometimes, we have to develop. And what easier way than to use the resources that are already available in our own backyard?

"For example, you might be listening to one piece of music and you think to yourself, at this point in the song, it would be better if we added just a little riff - or an alternative chord - to make it a little more Malay, a little more unique.

"I am awed by what Carlos Santana did with Latin music. Before he came along, it was just another obscure kind of music. Santana and his band exploded onto the world stage with an electrifying performance at the 1969 Woodstock Festival.

"His music has spanned five decades, outlasted countless musical trends. And yet if you follow Santana's style of music, you will realise that, from the beginning, he has been doing the same thing - playing his own style of music.

"He played Latin music, samba, dance music, but he fused it with his rock guitar. This was something different and thus created a new genre of music altogether.

"I would love to take this formula and use it with Malay music. Make it truly distinct and original so that when people hear it, they will know that it is Malay music. As for Di Celah Gigi, my crew and I have done the best that we possibly could."

Di Celah Gigi, produced by Luncai Emas Sdn Bhd and distributed byUniversal Music Sdn Bhd, is now available in record shops. - NST 20/02/2005

No comments:

Post a Comment